MSHDA Property Improvement Program

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) Property Improvement Program (PIP)

The purpose of the Property Improvement Program (PIP) is to improve housing stock by providing a low interest loan to home owners with low to moderate incomes, and to assist landlords who provide rental units to people with low to moderate income.  Eligible borrowers must meet the following criteria:

· Own or purchasing a 1 to 24-unit property (no corporate ownership, “DBA” partnerships, trusts, etc.);
· Be a reasonable credit risk, demonstrate an ability to repay the loan, meet MSHDA’s underwriting criteria;
· Improvements are permanent and will protect or improve basic livability or energy efficiency of the unit(s); and
· Must meet income eligibility requirement 

Current household income limits for homeowners can be found on the MSHDA website. Click on home improvement and then click on the homeowner’s link.  For landlords with rental properties of 1 to 11 units, gross rents may not exceed MSHDA rent limits.  For current rent limits, go to, click on home improvements, and then click on the landlords link.

Examples of the types of eligible improvements under the MSHDA PIP loan include:

Upgrading an existing bathroom, adding a bathroom, finishing an attic or basement, installing a walkway or driveway (homeowners only), install a ramp, build an addition, build a carport or garage, install replacement windows, install new siding, repair or replace a roof, repair or replace gutters, repair plumbing, install central air, replace a heating system, upgrade electrical wiring, kitchen remodels, install insulation, remediation of lead based paint hazards, solar water heating systems, windmills for residential power, and geothermal furnaces.

For more information on a PIP loan please visit the MSHDA website and click on home improvement on the left side of the page, or contact MSHDA by phone at (517) 373-8017, (TTY) 1-800-382-4568.  Information can also be obtained by contacting Audrey at Lighthouse Community Development at (248) 920-6060, ext 2400.