Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste, Schedule 2017
Every Monday starting at 7:00am
Yard Waste (Tentatively): First Monday in April thru the First Monday in December
- Monday January 18 - MLK Day – No delay
- Monday February 20 – President’s Day – No delay
- Monday May 29 – Memorial Day – Delayed one day to Tuesday
- Monday July 3 – Day before Independence Day – NO Delay
- Monday September 4 – Labor Day – Delayed one day to Tuesday
- Monday October 9 – Columbus Day – No Delay
- Monday December 25 - Christmas Day - Delayed one day to Tuesday
- Monday January 1 - New Years Day - Delayed on day to Tuesday
Every Wednesday for the entire year. Weather or Holidays can delay pick up.
Trash Pick Up
All residential trash will be picked up on Mondays.
- Trash must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. to ensure pick up.
- Trash cans must be 10 to 35 gallons, not to exceed 60 lbs.
- Bags placed at curb cannot exceed 40 lbs.
- Bulk items should be placed at curb by 7:00 a.m. with a maximum of three items per week.
- Wood must be tied and bundled, no longer than 3 feet in length and no larger than 18 inches in diameter - all nails must be removed
- Carpet and Padding should be cut into 4 ft lengths, rolled and tied. Not to exceed 18 inches in diameter per bundle.
- Construction Materials will not be picked up. Residents can take it to SOCRRA by appointment: 248-288-5153
- Tires will not be picked up. Residents should check with a tire installation store to see if they will take them.
- Logs - Any tree branches larger that 6 inches in diameter are considered logs- Logs must be cut into 2 ft lengths or less, bundled and set out with trash. Bundles can not exceed 60 lbs.
- Concrete: See Special Refuse Collection
- Used Motor Oil: See Special Refuse Collection
- Household Hazardous Waste items such as, paint cans, light bulbs, chemicals, syringes, pesticides etc.: Please see Recycling info.
- Electronics: Please see Recycling info.
All Yard waste will be picked up on Mondays. Yard Waste includes: Grass Clippings, leaves, garden wastes, spent flowers and plants, weeds, small tree and shrub trimming, small twigs, Halloween pumpkins, pine needles and cones, wood chips, sawdust, potting soil, clean dirt, vines, fruit and vegetable peelings.
Please do not include: meat, fish, bones, oils and fats, dairy products, pet manure, cat litter, cooked food, bread, charcoal, coffee grounds, paper products, plastics or egg shells.
- Yard Waste must be in 35 gallon (maximum) containers with yard waste stickers, not to exceed 60 lbs. or in paper yard waste bags by 7:00am to ensure pickup.
- Yard Waste pick-ups are scheduled for the 1st Monday in April thru the 1st Monday in December
- Do not rake leaves into the street.
- All leaves must be put into paper leaf yard waste bags or trash cans labeled with a yard waste sticker. Containers are limited to 35 gallons, not to exceed 60 lbs.
- Plastic bags are not acceptable
- Yard Waste Stickers are available at City Hall Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at the Treasury counter, or at the DPW Office located at 24211 Couzens Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
A contractor will go thru the entire city every Wednesday. You do not need to call for collection.
- Should be out by 7:00 a.m. to ensure pick up.
- The contractor will remove up to 15 minutes worth per household per week.
- Brush must be 4 ft. to 12 ft long, 1-6 inches in diameter, and all cut ends must be facing the same direction at the curb, neatly stacked and not tangled.
- Brush must not have vines, dirt, roots, or debris mixed in
- All brush under 4 ft. long must be tied and bundled, not to exceed 18 inches in diameter per bundle and can be put to the curb on Monday with Yard Waste.
- Any tree branches larger that 6 inches in diameter are considered logs. Logs must be cut into 2 ft lengths or less, bundled and set out with trash on Monday. Bundles can not exceed 60 lbs
- When a resident or contractor cuts down a tree, the resident or contractor is responsible for brush removal.
Special Refuse Collection
- Motor oil may be dropped off Monday through Thursday at the DPW yard located at 24211 Couzens, between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Stop in the office for details.
- Concrete will be picked up only on your first two street maintenance days in May. Residents may put out a maximum of one cubic yard. One cubic yard is equal to 3 ft x 3 ft X 3 ft. Otherwise residents can take it to State Crushing on Sherwood north of 10 Mile Road. Please call them for details at (586) 757-3612.